Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Written Word in Every Form

I must confess I am a magazine addict.  I love the feel of the paper, the crisp snap as the page turns, the vivid photographs and articles that can expose me to something I never considered. 

My addiction is my mother's fault.  When I was a little girl, I devoured books and to feed my need my mother provided me magazines. Seventeen, YM, Sassy, Teen Beat, Tiger Beat to name a few.  Her idea was that I would grown up and maybe get a job at one.  Well, I've had a few stories published and that's all.  My addiction, thought, hasn't gone away.  I don't think there is a cure.

I receive Vogue, Vanity Fair, Elle, Romantic Times, Writer's Digest, Marie Claire, Glamour, Cosmopolitan, The Writer and as a free gift OK.  Now take a breath.  I confess that I'm showing control since I've cut back.  I once received W, Tatler, Economist, New Yorker, New York, and Time.   Oh and I read them -- each magazine, every article even the Letters from Readers.
It clears my mind and soothes me.  While reading a magazine, I usually have a pen and pad near since many times, an idea pops in my head or helps me fix the ones I have had. 

With e-magazines available, I tested a few titles, purchasing Rolling Stones with Adele on it and Tatler as well as True Romance and True Love.  I must say that I'm still pleased though the sensory details such as smell, touch and sound are gone and replaced with extra content, the experience is still a pleasant one.

However, I still love getting my favorite magazine, Vogue, in the mail.  For me, I get a whirling-like sensation as if I received the Christmas gift I wanted.  Not that I jump up and down in front of my mailbox like some crazed fool.  I get giddy.  Hey, I'm a magazine addict.  So is there any others out there like me? Is there any magazines or subscriptions of any kind that you get excited about?  Share all please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment