Thursday, June 21, 2012

My baby is a 100 something pound lazy Rottweiler.

As a member of RWA, national and the local chapter, I know a few writers. Some are published with their books selling worldwide and others are chugging along to a publication and a few are in between.

And I've heard many authors refer to their works as their babies. Their poor babies that when they cut a scene or a word, they are in pain. Meanwhile, I don't feel that at all as I'll slash a scene with the same easy stroke Jason will chop up those stupid kids that keep on returning to Crystal Lake.

When I'm writing a story though I may love the idea, plot or characters even words. These aren't my babies. No, my only baby I had and lost was my Rottie.
My baby. Oh so cute.

Sometimes, I've wondered does that make me weird or am I realistic. I have no freaking clue.

Don't get my wrong.

When I write a story I feel the first pulls of excitement.  I'm willing to cut open a vein and bleed my heart onto paper. But I want to be realistic about writing and most importantly my writing. I want to know what works and what doesn't. I want to improve my skills, whether its vocabulary, grammar, character and everything else.  Can labeling a WIP really be a baby be a good thing?

This "baby" label can hold you back as well as feed your passion. Though, I tend to treat that much like I do the other advice doled out - write what you love. That topic is for another time. In my opinion, I think that as you revise, you have to figure what you love about the story and be honest with improving it.

So, why do writers say, it's my baby. Is it because of the time put into penning the work? Is because you're taking a risk by putting out your work? Is because of lack of confidence and a need to protect yourself? Or do people really think it is more.

Tell me what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think of my books as my babies, but they do possess a part of my psyche (after all, we choose to write particular types of books based on our temperament, interests, and deepest desires), which is why I think it's so easy for authors to get upset over bad reviews. However, I tend to flip things around, where I hold the book at arm's length while writing it, and get neurotic and possessive when it's out in the world, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. I think that bad reviews hurt more so because you spend time with a project and put it out in the world. But I think various reviews--good reviews which we like and bad reviews with constructive critique whether a problem is found with story or characters or something else that can be addressed then they are BAD REVIEWS where people just trash your book for no reason at all.

    There is that old saying, if you believe the good reviews you have to believe the bad.

    Evangeline, I'm the same way too. We are always wanting to edit our work. The definition of crazy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess a lot of people use the term "baby" because, just like you would your actual children, you have to let your book out into the world (if you want to be published, that is). That can be hard for some people.

    But I always want my "baby" to be the best it can be. If that means cutting a scene, that's what I'll do. I certainly don't cry over it (unless it's better and then it's tears of joy).

    By the way - I'm a new follower from our Triple-E loop! You can follow me if you want (stacysrantings.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treating your WIP like a baby is one thing but not letting it grow and become who/what it is meant to be...is beyond sad.

    Loved your post, good food for thought

    ReplyDelete